Holocaust by Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe
18 (Friday) 9:00 am - 19 (Saturday) 5:00 pm
Most students learn about the concentration and death camps of the Holocaust — Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, etc. Few are aware that more than 1/3 of the 6 million Jewish people
Most students learn about the concentration and death camps of the Holocaust — Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Dachau, etc. Few are aware that more than 1/3 of the 6 million Jewish people and thousands of non-Jewish victims targeted during the Holocaust were murdered in fields, forests, and ravines in the former Soviet Union and in other countries of Central and Eastern Europe. Many of these sights remain unknown, unmarked and unrecorded to this day.
Join us for a 16-hour teacher workshop which will be offered by Yahad – In Unum on November 11-12, 2022 to learn more about this often forgotten but essential chapter of Holocaust history, to hear the voices of those who witnessed it but also to study more contemporary mass killings, like that of the Mayan populations in Guatemala, and genocides, like that of the Yazidi people in Iraq, both of which have been investigated by Yahad – In Unum’s teams.
During this workshop you will:
- Learn about Jewish communities in the pre-war Soviet Union.
- Be introduced to the key elements of the Holocaust by Bullets.
- Learn about Yahad – In Unum’s investigative methodology of research and field work.
- Investigate in depth excerpts from the archives and from the eyewitness testimonies and learn how this can be used to enhance student critical thinking skills.
- Discuss means of connecting the past with the present and of making the study of the Holocaust relevant to students’ lives.
- Explore ways to support students’ ability to respond to antisemitism and other forms of prejudice and bias in their local communities.
- Learn how to access and use Yahad – In Unum’s educational tools.
This workshop offers:
- 16 hours of instruction – at no cost
- A 16-hour certificate of completion:
- CEU credits can be acquired through this workshop
- A hard copy of Yahad – In Unum’s Study Guide for Educators.
- A flash drive with additional resources and classroom activities based on eyewitness testimonies.
- A unique opportunity to join a network of CO teachers teaching about the Holocaust by Bullets and to get support from Yahad – In Unum’s educators.
This workshop is recommended for current middle school, high school and college teachers.
To register, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org