The JCRC is a program of JEWISHcolorado and a member agency of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs (JCPA). JCRC works with the Jewish Federations of North America’s (JFNA) Washington office to ensure that the voice of the Jewish federations is a prominent force in health and human service policy decisions, working with other advocacy groups in safeguarding upwards of $10 billion in federal support for social services for the Jewish community. JFNA is the umbrella organization of 152 Jewish federations and over 300 independent communities across North America. JCPA is the planning and coordinating body for the national organized Jewish community in the area of public affairs advocacy. Colorado is one of 125 local communities that, together with 15 national Jewish agencies, constitute the unique JCPA partnership.
Who We Are
The Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) is a coalition of 37 Jewish organizations and synagogues in the Denver and Boulder metropolitan area, as well as 15 at-large members, who have come together to speak with one representative voice on issues of concern to the local and global Jewish community.
What We Do
JCRC convenes the “common table” around which member organizations, through open, representative, inclusive and consensus-driven process, meet to articulate positions, and develop strategies, programs and approaches designed to advance the public affairs agenda of the organized Jewish community. Specifically, we:
- Identify issues which are important to the Jewish community and the State of Colorado.
- Advocate for local, state and federal issues on which there is group consensus.
- Build and support coalitions with like-minded, faith-based organizations to strengthen social policy.
- Work to build a network of support for the State of Israel and the quest for peace in the Middle East.
- Convene the community in times of crisis, celebration, and commemoration.
- Support—through education and advocacy—the well-being and security of Jews in Colorado, across the United States, in Israel, and around the world.
How We Do It
- Communicate with and establish relationships with government officials.
- Explain the policies of the Israeli government and developments in the Middle East to the Jewish and
non-Jewish communities, key policy-makers, and the media.
- Build coalitions with other communities around key issues of mutual concern.
- Monitor the media on priority issues.
- Undertake efforts to maximize government dollars available for programs and services that enhance
the quality-of-life for all people.
The mission of the JCRC is to advocate for domestic and international policy issues that affect the Colorado Jewish community, to represent these views to the Jewish community and to the general community of Colorado, and to organize the Jewish community in times of crisis.
What We’re Accomplishing
- Supported Colorado legislation granting in-state tuition for undocumented students.
- Supported Civil Unions to provide legal protection and recognition for same-sex couples.
- Supported a bill authorizing State Treasurer to invest in Israel Bonds.
- Initiated and successfully advocated for Colorado law to prohibit life insurance companies from denying coverage or charging increased premiums due to past or future travel to lawful destinations, including Israel.
- Secured assistance for vulnerable populations by lobbying for:
- federal Homeland Security grants
- extension of the Colorado Child Care Contribution Credit for preschools and camps.
- Championed efforts for targeted divestment by state bodies from companies operating in Sudan and Iran.
- Promoted state resolutions to commemorate the Holocaust and to support the State of Israel.
- Obtained federal “Naturally-Occurring Retirement Communities” funding to support aging-in-place
projects implemented by Jewish Family Service of Colorado.
- Sponsor Date with the State.
- Co-sponsor a biennial Candidates Forum with National Council of Jewish Women, Colorado Section.
- Sponsor educational trips—including missions to Israel—for elected and appointed public officials.
- Hold annual JCRC luncheon to recognize community leaders.
- Sponsor community events to express solidarity for the State of Israel and support for other communities in times of crisis.
How You Can Help
- You can give your time—volunteers help to raise awareness of and advocate for issues of concern.
- You can give your charitable dollars—funds are always needed to help support the programs and activities of the JCRC, which is funded by gifts to JEWISHcolorado’s Annual Campaign.