One Happy Camper (OHC) is a program of JEWISHcolorado and the Foundation for Jewish Camp. In Colorado, we have three high-quality Jewish residential camping options (Ramah in the Rockies, JCC Ranch Camp, and Shwayder Camp). In the summer of 2016, approximately 1,450 Jewish children experienced a Colorado Jewish overnight summer camp. In addition, several hundred children from Colorado traveled to attend one of the 150+ Jewish residential summer camps in North America.
For many Jewish adults, summer camp experiences were a critical part of shaping their Jewish identities and building lifelong friendships. “Camp is a place where campers can be called upon to become leaders in our tight-nit community,” said Rabbi Eliav Bock, Director of Ramah in the Rockies.
JEWISHcolorado and its partners provide up to $1,000 in subsidies to Jewish children who have not previously attended overnight summer camp. Since launching OHC in 2012, JEWISHcolorado has given the gift of Jewish summer camp to over 500 kids in Colorado. Each year children are left on the waitlist for One Happy Camper scholarships, simply due to lack of funds. With increased support, we can ensure every child who wants to experience Jewish overnight summer camp for the first time is able to receive this gift.
Your Gift Can Send a Child to Camp!
Congratulations, 2017 Campers!
Congratulations to the 179 Colorado campers going to 24 different camps throughout the US this summer!
- BBYO Chapter Leadership Training Conference (CLTC) | 3 campers
- BBYO International Leadership Training Conference (ILTC) | 1 camper
- BBYO Passport (US based programs) | 1 camper
- B’nai B’rith Beber Camp | 3 campers
- Camp JCA Shalom | 1 camper
- Camp Judaea | 1 camper
- Camp Nageela Midwest | 2 campers
- Camp Nesher (New Jersey Y Camps) | 2 campers
- Camp Pembroke | 1 camper
- Camp Ramah in Northern California | 1 camper
- Camp Ramah in the Rockies | 13 campers
- Camp Sabra | 2 campers
- Camp Stone | 1 camper
- Camp Young Judaea Sprout Lake | 1 camper
- CTeen Xtreme | 1 camper
- Emma Kaufmann Camp | 1 camper
- JCC Maccabi Sports Camp | 1 camper
- JCC Ranch Camp | 64 campers
- Pinemere Camp | 2 campers
- Shwayder Camp | 63 campers
- URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy | 1 camper
- URJ 6 Points Sports Academy – California | 1 camper
- URJ Kutz Camp | 3 campers
- URJ Olin-Sang-Ruby Union Institute (OSRUI) | 11 campers
“One Happy Camper helped us send our children to JCC Ranch camp. Our children’s experiences and connections at camp helped create a stronger foundation for their Jewish identities. Glad we can give back for something that gave so much to our family.”
—Barbara and Jason Carroll
“The One Happy Camper subsidy defrayed enough cost this year to make sleep away camp a reality!”
“Joshua’s Jewish summer camp experience was life changing. He returned home with confidence and a spiritual connection to Judaism and he made great friends!”
“When we first decided to send our kids to camp, we were considering both Jewish and non-Jewish camps. I can tell you that the availability of the One Happy Camper grant made a big difference in our decision. Once our kids started at Camp Shwayder, that’s the only place they want to go back. You have a wonderful program, and we are so appreciative for the grant!”
Coloradans can submit an online application at OneHappyCamper.org. The subsidies are open to children who are registered to attend an overnight Jewish summer camp, who do not attend a day school, are residents of Colorado, and have not attended sleep-away camp before. Campers can attend any of the 150+ nonprofit Jewish camps in North America, but many of the campers choose to attend one of Colorado’s three local summer camps.